- Construction – Split Body, Trunnion Ball
- Body Material – Forged/Casting Stainless Steel and Carbon Steel
- Seat – Soft or Metal to Metal
- Size Range – DN50-DN600
- End Connection – Flange, RF, RTJ, BW
- Pressure Rating – Class 150-2500
- Standard – Design to ASME B16.34, API6D/API608, Flange Dimension to ASME B16.5, Butt Welding to ASME B16.25, Face to face meets ASME B16.10, API6D, and Inspection and testing according to API598 API6D
- Temperature Rage – -50°F – 650°F (Soft or Metal Seats)
What is a Trunnion Ball Valve?
Kinvalve trunnion mounted ball valve is shutoff purpose device with an attached and centered ball inside the valve body through both the valve stem and the trunnion for the most demanding services.
Trunnion Ball Valve
A trunnion ball valve plays a crucial role in controlling the flow of fluids or gases in various industries. This valve consists of a ball supported by trunnion bearings in a valve body.
The soft seals like elastomer or PTFE are used for versatile fluids, while metal seals are used for high-temperature applications. This ensures a tight closure and prevents leakage.
In a trunnion ball valve, the anchored ball is supported by the stem and the trunnion shaft. The fixed ball can not move to downstream seat by the pressure from upstream flow to create a seal, just like the floating ball does.
In order to form a sealing structure, you need a spring-loaded seat with a Belleville spring. This spring-loaded seat will provide a continuous pressure to force the seat close to the ball to form a seal.
This structure requires only a small torque to achieve switching action. And in services where pipeline pressure is low, this design is critical.
In contrast, floating ball valves have a solid ball that floats within the valve body, supported by the flowing medium’s pressure. Their sealing relies on the contact between the ball and valve seats, often requiring more operating torque.
Trunnion ball valves are commonly used in low and high-pressure applications where the toughest operating conditions exist such as abrasive and corrosive mudiums, slurries, and more.
At Kinvalve, high-grade trunnion ball valves are carefully designed with durable parts such as the trunnion, gasket, packing, powerful stems, soft or metal seats, solid or hollow balls, actuators, valve bodies, etc. All components provide important function results for easy operation and reliable shut-off.
As a leading manufacturer, Kinvalve supplies all types of trunnion ball valves according to their body configuration, bore, sealing materials, body structure, and body materials.
Whether you need a side entry trunnion ball valve, welded body trunnion ball valve, top entry trunnion ball valve, full bore or reduced bore trunnion ball valve, or two or three pieces split ball valve, you can find the right product here at competitive rates. All products conform to ASME B16.34, API6D, API608, and ASME B16.10 industry standards.
Trunnion ball valves are accessible from 2 inches to 48 inches in size range. 150-lb to 2500LB class ranges, forged or cast ball valves are also available depending on your requests. Full customization is available. For instance, we can add sealant injections for tight sealing, or strong bearings and nuts for improved performance.
Versatile Trunnion Ball Valves
Kinvalve provide both forged steel and cast steel body trunnion mounted ball valves to meet your severest application requirements. The trunnion mounted ball valves range from DN50 to DN600 with the pressure ratings from ASME Class 150-2500.
- Cast Steel Trunnion Mounted Ball Valve
Cast steel trunnion mounted ball valves are tailored in 2-piece or 3-piece bodies in accordance with API 6D specifications. These trunnion ball valves can be soft seats and metal seats. Metal seated designs are with ENP or the other special coatings for the abrasive or corrosive requirements.
- Forged Steel Trunnion Mounted Ball Valve
Forged steel trunnion ball vales are also available in 2-piece/3-piece construction. The forged body design is conducive to rapid processing and ensuring you a quick delivery than the cast steel ball valve. And they have higher performance, making them more suitable for the harshest applications.
- Cast Steel Top Entry Trunnion Ball Valve
As one of the leading trunnion ball valve manufacturers, Kinvalve trunnion mounted ball valves are all made and tested accordance with API, ASME, ISO and MSS international standards. Unique features like anti-static device, fire-safe design, emergency seals, DBB as well ensure optimum performance.
Trunnion Ball Valves High-Quality Main Parts
- Body – Characterized as the primary housing of the valves. Provides sturdy and durable structure commonly made from F316, F51, LF3, Inconel, Monel material grade, etc.
- Ball – a centerpiece of the valve product. Spherical shapes that are usually made from F304L, F316, F316L material grade, etc.
- Spring-Loaded Seats – ring-shaped component. It encircles the ball. Provides a tight seal around the ball for leaking prevention. Usually made from PTFE, RPTFE, PCTFE, or metals. When in a low or no pressure pipeline, the springs will put the seats against the ball to create sealing function.
- Trunnion – holds the ball in place. Made of hardened steel/alloy.
- Stem – Anti-blowout stem connects the actuator to the ball. And controls its rotation. Common material grades are A182 F51, A182 F316, A182 F6a, 17-4PH, etc.
- Actuator –Manual, pneumatic, or electric based on the application. This part is crucial to close or open the valve.
Trunnion ball valves find widespread use in different industries that require a shut-off function, both in low and high-pressure applications. They are commonly employed in sectors such as wastewater treatment, chemical, power generation, oil and gas, petrochemical, hydrocarbon, water distribution, power generation industry, refining industry, and more. These trunnion mounted ball valves guarantee reliable and efficient operation.
Unique Designs Defend Your Reputation
Reliable Shut-Off – The trunnion provides support to the ball, guaranteeing it remains in position even under high flow conditions.
Fire-safe Design – All valves we produced are fire safe certified. In compliance with API 6FA or API 607 certifications.
Anti-Static Device – Due to the contact friction between the trunnion, ball and non-metallic parts, you cannot avoid static electricity generated in the trunnion ball valves. The Antistatic device is set to form a path between the ball valve rod ground to discharge excess charges. To prevent risks such as explosions caused by static sparks.
Extended Service Life – We manufacture valves designed to last with low maintenance. Sturdy designs allow for smooth operation for many years to come.
Easy to Operate and Install – Kinvalve Trunnion mounted ball valves are usually designed with flange ends which are easy to connect with your pipelines. And our trunnion ball valves are made of two-piece or three-piece structure, you can easily to disassemble and maintain them.
Low Operating Torque – this valve’s design reduces operating torque and wear & tear when turning the valve.
Customizable – You can request custom trunnion ball valves based on your size requirements, design, finishes, materials, and other features.
Large Size Range – Trunnion ball valves don’t have the limitation on the port size. You can customize the sizes to meet your pipelines.
Double block & bleed (DBB) feature – Kinvalve can make ball valves with this feature that allow for shutting off or blocking both upstream & downstream sides working area.
Trunnion Ball Valve
A trunnion ball valve is a basic quarter-turn device applicable in the regulation of fluids flow within the pipeline.
Advantages of Trunnion Ball Valve
- Torque operation – Trunnion ball valve can effectively open and close in instances with a full pressure differential.
- Valve sealing – It offers an end-proper sealing force when put to use in high-pressure sealing.
- Flexibility – The device offers an advantage of flexibility in selection. This is through its availability in various sizes and shapes thus one can choose a type that fits his/her purpose.
- High level of Stability – This is due to its capability to stand varying and extreme levels of pressure.
- Spring-loaded Seats – Another characteristic of these valves is the quality of springs with seats. The spring seats are in a position to operate under both high to low-pressure applications.
Limitations of Trunnion Mounted Ball Valves
- Trunnion ball valves are ineffective in instances with presence of slurry fluids.
- They are expensive to repair in instances of breakage.
- The devices result in efficiency decline in instances with maintenance alterations.
- Large and weighty trunnion ball valves are so involving and hectic to install.
Trunnion Ball Valves Materials
Stainless steel is the best material because of its ability to work well under full pressure differential and resistance to heat. Stainless steel trunnion valves have high excellence levels in steam, water and chloride applications.
Of course, these valves are also made from other valve materials such as brass, carbon steel, or glass-filled polymer.
Types of Trunnion Mounted Ball Valves
Side Entry Trunnion Ball Valve
It has the balls assembled on its side, with a body joining two or three pieces to form an extension. Among the pieces, the largest one is responsible for holding the ball.
- Ease of reparability
- Reliability in performance
- Simple in construction.
- Difficulty in cleaning
- Occurrence of rusting due to the throttling effect.
Top Entry Trunnion Ball Valve
The top Entry Trunnion ball valve has a design that illustrates the assembly of balls from the upper top to the lower part. The design consists of a bonnet cover at the ball valve top which is easily dettachable.
- Ease of maintenance
- There is maximum reliability during the sealing process
- It reduces the paths for leakages.
- Offers easy accessibility to other internal parts of the valves.
- There is inadequacy in regulation capability.
- Easily prone to cavitation
Welded Body Trunnion Ball Valve
The trunnion ball valve has an anti-blowout stem with a valve seat design. This design is achievable through the application of various materials such as the carbon steels and martensitic SS.
It is mainly applicable in the transmission of gas through underground pipelines.
- It has minimum to no leak paths.
- The device has a compact structure.
- Difficult to maintain at the point of installation.
Full Port Trunnion Mounted Ball Valves
These types of valves exist based on the type of bores. In most cases, their design is such that the diameter of the valve bore is nearly equal to the connecting pipeline.
They are applicable in the chemical and refining industries.
Half Port Trunnion Mounted Ball Valve
This is a unique design that we obtain based on the type of its bores. Here the diameter of the bore is half the size of that of the pipeline in which it connects.
Two-piece Trunnion Mounted Ball Valves
This is a type that comes out based on the assembling of parts. It has two housing pieces that attach themselves via thread-like connections. Besides, the design allows for easy access of the valve for repair purposes.
Three-piece Trunnion Mounted Ball Valve
The design results when we assemble the three housing pieces together. This specific type of design enables easy access of the valve’s inner parts by detaching the pieces.
How Trunnion Mounted Ball Valves Work
This device operates by turning the actuator on 90 degrees in order for it to turn off the valves. After turning the actuator it prompts the balls to rotate causing the media to freely flow within the pipeline.